Saturday, November 22, 2008

2008 Run to Read

On October 25th, the kids and I participated in a 5K run together ~ the 2nd Annual Run to Read, sponsored by the Four Rivers Family YMCA and the Washington Missourian Newspapers in Education program. It was held at Lion's Lake in Washington, MO. To be accurate, I should tell you that I ran the 5K while pushing the kids in the stroller. Oof. They also had a 200 m "Baby Buzz Dash" for kids age 5 and under. We had a lot of fun, even though the temperature was in the 40s that morning. Brrrr. Despite the cold weather and the extra 50+ lbs of weight, I managed to finish the race in about 31 minutes. Woohoo!
All bundled up and ready to race!Me and the kiddos after the 5K race:A group of kids from our church who also participated in the races. Matthew (second from left) ran the 5K and beat me and the kids!Before the race, Ava was excited about running the 200 m dash. When I asked her if she wanted to run in a race, she said "Yes, just like Mommy. And Dane, too!" But after the 5K, she was so cold that all she wanted to do was go home. After a little coaxing (primarily, the promise of a donut at the end), she ran a great race! Go Ava!Dane, despite all the excess energy he usually has, decided that on this particular day, he'd rather just go for a stroll in the park. Taking his sweet time!Each race participant received a hardcover book. After the race, Ava said "I ran for a book! And a donut!"Dane didn't care so much about the books, but he thought the little orange cones were cool!

As an update, my foot is feeling a lot better. I'm up to running twice a week, and hopefully will soon be able to get back to the three runs week I was doing before the injury. I'm still tentatively planning to train for the 2009 Go! St. Louis Half Marathon next April. The Y is hosting a training group that I think I'm going to join. Exciting, but a little scary!

No comments: