Okay, I know you all have been waiting on pins and needles to hear about the cruise, especially now that it's been nearly a month! Warning: long post ahead . . .
Our trip began really early on Monday morning, March 24. Our flight departed St. Louis at 6:50 a.m., and we had a 45 min. drive to the airport, so you can imagine just how early it was. Margaret and I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at about 1 p.m., took a shuttle to the port in Miami and boarded our ship, the Majesty of the Seas. We set sail from Miami at around 5 p.m. The first thing we did was hit the gym, which really helped us wake up after a long day of traveling and get our sea legs. You wouldn't think you'd be able to feel much movement on a big ship, but you'd be surprised!On Tuesday morning, we arrived in Nassau, Bahamas. Here's a picture of our ship in port:
That afternoon we boarded a catamaran for a snorkeling excursion. I don't have any pictures, because, to be perfectly honest, I was really nervous. The first and only time I had been snorkeling was in Ft. Lauderdale over spring break one year in college. At that time, I was really uncomfortable in the water, considering it had been almost 10 years since I had done any swimming. I seriously thought I was going to drown. Just ask Russ. He witnessed my little panic attack. Anyway, back to the Bahamas ~ because of my previous experience, I prepared myself by taking a refresher swim class at the Y last fall, so I felt better about being in the water. Margaret is a good swimmer and has been snorkeling many times, so she helped me out a lot, too. Also, the entry into the water was a lot easier this time around. We got to climb a ladder all the way down to the water, rather than jump in. it was really cool, and really fun! The water was crystal clear, we saw lots of cool fish, and the coral reef was beautiful. I just wish the weather had been warmer. I finally had to get out of the water because I was starting to shiver. Not that I'm complaining ~ sunny, breezy and 70s was a vast improvement over the mini-blizzard that hit the day before we left!
After snorkeling, they put the sails up on the catamaran and we sailed back to port. It was really cool to be traveling so fast, but to not hear any noise other than the sound of the wind and the ocean. Our guide, Carlton, gave us a little history lesson on our return trip and pointed out which gorgeous beach house belonged to which rich and famous person. Very interesting.
Overnight, we sailed to Cococay, Bahamas, which is Royal Caribbean's private island. Because there was no dock, they dropped the anchor in the ocean a little way out from the island:
We strolled around the ship for a while before dinner, enjoying the fresh air on deck, and doing a lot of people watching. Let's just say that there are many different ways to intrepret the word "formal." We thoroughly enjoyed good food, good wine, and good conversation at dinner. In the formal dining room, seating is assigned, and it happened that I was the only non-teacher at our table of six. After dinner, we took in some of the entertainment onboard, then headed to bed.We spent our final day in Key West, but you'll have to wait until the next post to find out about it. I promise it won't take another month!


No comments:
Post a Comment